Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Daddy/Daughter Dance

This is one event my 9-year old daughter, Layna, thinks about all year long. She will usually bring it up at least once a month if not more often and always ask if it is getting close. I can't recall how many I have been to, but I think I attended it the very first year it was held!

If you have never been to one of these, it is hard to put it in words. If I were to try; one of those words would be "amazing". Everything about the Daddy/Daughter dance is "amazing". It has grown to be the largest one in the Country (yes, I said Country). I remember having to wait in line 6 or 7 years ago at 8AM just to get tickets and back then, it sold out quickly. Of course, sold out meant about 500 tickets and it was held at Frisco High School.

Well, it has expanded just a little bit. Now, four dances are held on a Saturday, starting at 2PM. Approximately 5,500 dads and daughters attended this year and some came from as far away as California and Houston. Amazing!

If you tried to go to dinner on Saturday, you probably saw a whle bunch of little princesses, not mention having a long wait for seats. You see, part of the tradition is taking your princess to dinner either before or after the dance.

This year was a little bit tricky. Collin College Education Foundation, where I serve as a board member, was holding their annual fundraiser, Collin Cabaret, at the same evening and the same location (The Frisco Convention Center). And no, I didn't even consider skipping the Daddy/Daughter dance - it was not an option knowing how much Layna was looking forward to an evenin out on a date with her dad. Val to the rescue!!! Val and our friend, Terri Green, attended for me and they were able to enjoy the show while Layna and I were tearing up the dance floor right next door.

The dance ended at 9:30PM and Layna had the opportunity to mingle with some adults at the cabaret as we caught the end of it. It was important to support the College as they provide so many scholarships to those that really need it.

Layna and I really enjoyed the evening. We started out with dinner at Macroni Grill in Frisco with 4 other fathers and their daughters. The young ladies were all very beautiful and excited to be going to the dance. After a great dinner, we left for the last dance of the evening at 8PM. We won't talk about my dancing abilities, so we will just skip right to the end; my favorite dance. Since it is a slow dance, I do just fine. In fact, I'm always afraid to look up because I don't really want to see grown men crying :-) In case you have not guessed it, the song is "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle [LYRICS].

All in all, one of my favorite evenings of the year.

No comments: