Friday, September 12, 2008

A day to remember

If this were any other day, it would be the typical day with a full schedule. However, today is not a regular day. It is September 11th. We can never forget the sacrifices our military is making and also the loss of life of our fellow Americans on 9/11.

I started out the day in a normal way; at a meeting at 7:30AM in Plano! The meeting lasted a little over an hour and I started the drive over to Frisco City Hall. I spent the next hour or so catching up on messages and e-mails before starting a staff meeting at 11AM to discuss a symposium that I will be presenting at in October. It is about public/private partnerships and sustainable development.

From there, I rushed over to The Tribute golf course in The Colony. The Texas Fallen Soldiers Project was holding a golf tournament to bring awareness to the project. I spent some time with some of the families of fallen soldiers. I was very touched by the entire event. Seeing an uncle carrying the portrait of his nephew and place it on a stand and walk away was a moment that is hard to explain. As I looked at him, you could see the tears in his eyes and he softly said he didn't think it would be that hard. I can only say that these young men and women who lost their lives protecting our freedoms are the real hero's. They have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and I was honored to be in the same room as their families and to hear their stories.

If you have not visited the Texas Fallen Soldiers Project web site, please take a moment to do so. If you find it in your heart to help - you are helping in a small measure those families who have sacrificed so much for all of us. Phil Taylor is a special person who has touched the lives of so many. Until you see his work and the impact he makes on those who are hurting, you cannot understand the importance of this project.

Unfortunately, I could not stay long at the tournament. I left there and rushed over to Arlington to attend the Regional Transportation Council (RTC) meeting. This was a very important meeting to me and to our City. The RTC revised their bylaws to allow Frisco a voting position on the board. This was one of my goals during the campaign and I am excited that we have achieved this milestone for our citizens. Many people have worked on this issue for some time, including previous Mayor Mike Simpson and our city staff. Also, the City of Allen and Mayor Steve Terrell has been a great partner as we worked together to get additional representation on the RTC.

I left Arlington at 3:30, but had to rush back to Frisco for a quick debriefing at our Emergency Operations Center regarding Hurricane Ike. I can tell you that our City and staff is working hard to ensure the safety of our community. We are also working with the State of Texas to help other communities. The best place to get information about Hurricane IKE is to dial 211 to access the State of Texas information system. Also, please visit the City of Frisco web site for additional and up-to-date information.

We finished the debrief in just enough time for me to rush over to Pizza Hut Park and the "Paint the Town Red" 2008 BREP appreciation reception. The turnout was large and was filled with many of our business community partners. I enjoyed speaking to the group and appreciate all that our Chamber of Commerce, Frisco EDC and City of Frisco do for our community. The event was a huge success!

No comments: