Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Busy Early march

The one thing you can't say during campaign season is that you have nothing to do! March 2nd started with a big sign-making party at my house. I did not realize how BIG! I did not count, but parking was at a premium and my guess was well over 50 volunteers showed up. I remember back in 2000 when I ran my first campaign, Val and I were out there with the hammer and nails. We are truly luck to have so many friends and supporters. I will post pictures soon!

Coffee with the "Maher" have on Monday mornings have been going great. I have met many new people and have had the opportunity to hear the concerns of our citizens. We are now in the big room in the back at Le Peep (it is a nice problem to have outgrowing the large round table in front! Don't forget to join me at Le Peep every Monday morning from 7:30-8:30AM.

It has also been a busy with with answering questionnaires from different entities. At times, it is hard to keep up, but I enjoy discussing the long-term vision of our City and our accomplishments. The week ended early with several cancellations due to the weather.

This Time in History

I thought I would share some of the things that took place during this period over the last few years while I served on council.

Early March, 2000 -- I attended a meeting with the City Council that discussed the Frisco Jetport (I worked hard with a group of citizens to not allow an airport in the middle of our City). During this period, I was also a candidate for City Council, which I eventually won. It was a busy time with many meetings.

Early March, 2001 -- During this period, I was full in full swing in my first year on City Council. We had a joint City Council/P&Z meeting during the first week in March. Many other meetings during the week including one with our downtown merchants.

Early March, 2002 -- More meetings (I sound like a broken record!). This is the first time I met congressional candidate Keith Self during his campaign. I also had a meeting with the board of the Frisco Community Theatre (all on a Sunday). The rest of the week was made up of Tax Increment Finance District Meetings, Art Board Meetings and a citizen meeting.

Early March, 2003 -- Highlight of the week was the 2nd annual police awards dinner at St. Francis. We had a joint meeting with our housing trust fund board and also held an appreciation dinner for our boards and commissions.

Early March, 2004 -- My first year as Deputy Mayor Pro Tem, appointed by the council. Lots of other meetings (almost every day).

No comments: